Being “pretty domestic” means being pretty practical; and with the sweltering weather, the kitchen is the last place a doll wants to spend her time, slaving over a hot stove. Yet, we still have to eat. That said, this is the perfect time for a wonderful salad. I’m not talking about throwing some iceberg lettuce in a bowl, with a few tomatoes and a slice or two of cucumber; but savory, healthy salads that leave you wanting more!
BERRY DELICIOUS SUMMER SALAD
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- ¼ cup chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans
- Bottled vinaigrette
Toss together first 4 ingredients; drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat.
LEMON~BASIL SHRIMP SALAD
Prep: 20 min., Chill: 8 hrs. Don’t skip the fresh lemon rind and juice in the marinade–it’s what makes this recipe special. These shrimp also make a terrific appetizer. The shrimp and dressing, as well as the Parmesan Baskets, can all be made a day ahead.
- 3 lbs. unpeeled, cooked shrimp
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 16 cups salad greens
- 8 Parmesan Baskets (optional)
- Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette ~ Ingredients: ¼ cup fresh lemon juice; 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard; 1 large garlic clove, pressed; ¼ teaspoon salt; ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; ½ cup vegetable oil
Preparation: Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until blended. Note: To prepare ahead, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature, and whisk before serving.
- Lemon-Basil Marinade ~ Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil; 1 cup red wine vinegar; 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind; ¼ cup fresh lemon juice; 3 tablespoons sugar; 2 tablespoons hot sauce; 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard; 2 garlic cloves, pressed; ½ teaspoon salt
Preparation: Whisk together oil and remaining ingredients in a bowl.
Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Place shrimp and next 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Stir in basil 1 hour before serving. Drain and discard marinade just before serving.
Divide greens evenly between Parmesan Baskets or serving bowls; arrange drained shrimp mixture evenly over lettuce. Serve with Fresh Lemon Vinaigrette.
SUN SWEET TEA
Tie 14 tea bags together. Place in the bottom of a 4-quart clear container. Slice a lemon and squeeze in the juice from both halves. Put both lemon halves in your container. Fill the container with cold water, put the cover on and add three hours of strong sun.
Bring inside and take out tea bags. Add a cup of sugar, more or less depending on your taste. Chill for a couple of hours or pour over ice & enjoy!
If you want to make this your “Champagne Sunday” cocktail of choice, and for an extra kick, add 1 cup Bacardi 151 or other high-proof golden rum.
The Pretty Domestic